Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Bruclass.com - Brunei's No. 1 Bulletin Board
  We've been hit by spambots We have disabled automatic registration. Please email us at buysell@bruclass.com to register. Provide us with your name, email and preferred username.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Permanent Residency (PR) Status in Brunei (Read 7485 times)
demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Permanent Residency (PR) Status in Brunei
Nov 22nd, 2006 at 5:27pm

52,450 Granted PR Status In Brunei Since 1958: PermSec
By James Kon

Bandar Seri Begawan
- From July 1, 1958 until today, a total of 52,450 applicants have been granted Permanent Resident status in Brunei Darussalam.

The figure was revealed by Dato Seri Setia Awang Hj Yusoff bin Hj Ismail, Permanent Secretary at Ministry of Home Affairs as guest speaker during the talk, "PR Application: Impact on the Business Community", organised by the French-Bruneian Business Association (FBBA) at Sheraton Utama Hotel, yesterday morning.

The permanent secretary gave an in-depth explanation of the main functions and responsibilities of the Department of Immigration and National Registration, one of the departments under the purview of the Ministry of Home Affairs in Brunei.

He outlined the various acts the department is responsible in carrying out, namely Immigration. Act and Regulation (Chapter 17), Passport Act and Regulation (Chapter 146), Nationality Act and Regulation (Chapter 15), National Registration and Regulation (Chapter 19), Birth and Death Registration Act and Regulation (Chapter 79), Adoption Registration Act and Regulations (Chapter 123) and Tracking and Smuggling of Persons Order, 2004.

Dato Hj Yusoff added that another function of the department is the issuance of Entry Permit (Permit Resident Status), which is in accordance to Section 10 of the Brunei Immigration Act (Chapter 17).

He said a `Permanent Resident' is defined as a person to whom a Residence Permit has been issued under subsection (1) of Section 67 of the Immigration Enactment 1956 (Enactment No 23 of 1956) or to whom an Entry Permit has been issued under subsection (2) of Section 10 of the Immigration Act (Chapterl7). Permanent Residence status is accorded to those who possess either foreign nationality status (foreign passport holder) or those without any nationality.

Meanwhile, Awg Zainal Abidin bin Dato Paduka Hi Ahmad, Director of Immigration and National Registration, outlined the various categories of eligibility in applying for Permanent Resident status. If a woman marries a Brunei Citizen, two years of marriage and staying in

Brunei is required; if a woman marries a Brunei Permanent Resident, five years of marriage and staying, in Brunei is required; for children whose mother holds Brunei citizenship, the requirement is two-years of age and having stayed in Brunei Darussalam; while children whose father holds Brunei Permanent Residence, the requirement is two years and 6 months of age and having stayed in Brunei Darussalam.

He also touched on the new categories for Permanent Resident status (as of May 15, 2006), which consists of applicants who contribute to the economic growth and development of the country (business), professionals who contribute to the economic growth and development of the country and husbands who marry Brunei citizens.

In the question and answer session, various queries on the new categories for Permanent Residence status were answered by the Director of Immigration & National Registration. Also present at the talk were Mr Patrick Bonneville, French Ambassador to Brunei; Awg Musa bin Hj Adnin, Honorary President of FBBA; Mr Pierre Imhof, President of FBBA; and other members of FBBA.-- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

pride is also a deadly sin, which dignity will never ever be..

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Re: Permanent Residency (PR) Status in Brunei
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 5:37pm

52,450 granted PR status in 48 years, averaging approx 1090 PR status per year.

now, wouldn't the mode be of greater value here Questioning

how many were granted this year and within the past 5 years Questioning

would the figure in the 1960's or 1970's be so high that it distort the impression that about 1000 PR status were granted per year Questioning

we want STATISTICS Exclaim

IP Logged

justaguy
Tengirri - Senior Member

I Love Bruclass!

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 7:59pm

Mwahaha!! That's what I did, too, when I first read the papers!! And it actually worked out to about 1093 approvals per year over 48 years?!?

I totally agree, there should be relevant statistics to substantiate and show the trends throughout the years.

Ooops! So sorry! Transparency and accountability are foreign concepts to our g-men. Looks like the Pak Lah syndrome spreads faster than JE or the bird-flu from Malaysia!!

Btw, what is the number of these so-called 'permanent-residents' in Brunei Darussalam? Anyone?

Oh, I again forgot, our g-men do not read forums such as this. E-govt is still a fallacy.

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:15am

sorry it is just my impression, the gomen officers cannot handle simple statistics.  for instance, at the hospital, the number of patients were so high.  can they tell the difference between number of patients and number of visits Questioning

should the gomen put more figure-minded (not the body curves, okey) people in charge of statistics, we will not have rakyats queing forever and ever for perumahan.  heard that the number of houses allocated at the pandan area of kuala belait were grossly over-rated.  now what Questioning

jon_3 any idea Questioning

IP Logged

Jon_3
Ikan Bilis Newbies

I Love Bruclass!

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 1:17pm

oh yes i have an idea..

PRs are not local people to begin with right.. and people come here to make a difference in their life.. u know, help the economy and help themselves.. then they come across people like

qawiwazir wrote on Nov 22nd, 2006 at 9:14am:

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME .GO crappity smack OUT FROM THIS COUNTRY.

(i love copy and paste.. makes life so easy)
so who really wants to stay??? so what they fail to mention is that while so many people get PR, a lot also leave.. and i can tell u in terms of statistics.. yes, what's happened in the past 5 years..? i bet there's like 1000 people that got approved for the last five years alone.. so yeh

IP Logged

Siang Malam
Tengirri - Senior Member

For Brunei Darussalam

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:05pm

That 52,540 figure on its own doesn’t tell everything. We need to put into some perspective for it to be more meaningful. For example, we need to see it relative to total number of applications since 1958 (this would tell us the rate of successful applicants and whether our government is generous or otherwise). Another good way to look at it, like what others are suggesting, is to see the annual breakdown.

What is more interesting to know is how many from this 52,540 PRs have been granted citizenship status for those who’re eligible to apply.

What is the whole point of giving “in-depth explanation of the main functions and responsibilities of the Department of Immigration and National Registration”  when an equally important, if not more, additional information on actual results is not given any mention(?).  That 52,540 figure might represent “poor performance” whereby fair and just, effective, efficient PR application processing and approving procedures would have passed lots and lots more applicants.

Perhaps, Dato Hj Yusoff would want to find out.

Together, we can make some impact in nation building.

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 7:02pm

a foreigner who has worked in brunei for 15 years is eligible for PR status.  the strange part is that if this foreigner then marry a local girl, he has to wait 20 years, from year of marriage, before he is eligible for PR.

let's say this guy has worked in brunei for 15 years, then get married and so has to wait for 20 years before he is eligible again.  a total of 35 years. Shocked

how is this going to supposedly protect the local women Questioning

IP Logged

justaguy
Tengirri - Senior Member

I Love Bruclass!

Little Napoleons everywhere...
Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 10:31am

With no transparency, accountability or Judicial Review, ANSWERABLE to the affected public at large, many g-men will continue to do what they like rather than live up to their responsibilities.

Conscientious, hardworking, effective and proactive g-men are far and few in the civil service. When there is one, the rest will gang up and ostracise the the genuine and responsible individual. Even HoD's get in on the evil rumour-mongering and move such individuals around to avoid being with them.

Yes, there are definitely a few responsible and genuinely excellent individuals amongst our g-men, but it is the majority shirkers of responsibility who rather do less and maintain the status quo.

When office politics rule and meritocracy is ignored, even the best of men and women will eventually give up and join ranks, or ultimately leave.

Only in Brunei do you see the coommon man address a civil servant in the government office as 'Tuan' or "Puan'. Civilians are to be served, not the other way round.

When was the last time that anyone here from the street is addressed as 'Tuan' or 'Puan' by any civil servant in the discharge of their duty?...

What we have here are civil servants DEMANDING respect by virtue of the badge of their authority. It should be the other way round where the CUSTOMER is KING.

Are we the public NOT the 'customers', and the civil servants 'service providers'?!?

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 12:08pm

the point is... are this laughable conditions reasonable. Huh

IP Logged

justaguy
Tengirri - Senior Member

I Love Bruclass!

To laugh or to cry...
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 12:40pm

demo_cat wrote on Nov 24th, 2006 at 12:08pm:
the point is... are this laughable conditions reasonable. Huh

Demo, if the situation is indeed laughable, then it must be deplorable for it to be. Then, it must be UNREASONABLE.

The discourse here is on public policy or conditions where the fate of many locals are actually at stake. I am sure many will agree that THIS is no laughing matter.

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 12:46pm

up and down, left and right, there is jus no reason to set up such conditions Exclaim

IP Logged

justaguy
Tengirri - Senior Member

I Love Bruclass!

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 7:17pm

Demo, sorry, what I meant to say was that the g-men should NOT have let things come to the point where it may have now become a 'laughing' matter.

That is the problem with our leadership, by letting matters that concern public policy, concerns and welfare, deteriorate to the point that it becomes a laughing matter... What avenues do the public have? Where are the so-called 'TPOR' that were promoted not so many years ago?!?

What our g-men do or announce in public, do they NOT bother to think if the public are so gullible as to accept it without considering the substance, relevance and effectiveness?

One of the advantage (and maybe in this case disadvantage) of having an educated public, is that, where we see weakness or wrong we WILL speak out.

IP Logged

demo_cat
Tengirri - Senior Member

Where's my coffee?

Brunei Darussalam
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 9:10pm

agreed.  sometimes these silly policy makes the public and the rest of the world wonder if those involved in the decision making have brains.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print